Friday, September 28, 2007

Felting In A Front Loader

I've recently became the proud owner of a front load washer and dryer set, I absolutlly love my new machines they are wonderful for washing clothes which is there intended purpose. However a secondary purpose for a washing machine to a knitter is felting and felting in a front loader is quite a bit different then a regular washer.

I learned a hard lesson when I felted my first project which was mittens, they felted closed and I had to spend an hour opening them back up. What I learned is that because the front loaders have a spin agitation vs. a back and forth agitation the cetrifical forces in the front loader aided in felting closed my mitten. I think some experimentation with spinning speed is needed. I plan to spend this weekend figuring out how to sucessfully felt in my front loader!

No comments: